Thanksgiving Day is always the fourth Thursday in November. It is a federal holiday in the USA, so schools, banks, post offices, and government offices are closed. Thanksgiving was the first holiday celebrated in America.
The first Thanksgiving was in 1621 when the pilgrims (a small group of people who sailed from England to North America in order to start a new life) invited the Indians to a three-day feast to celebrate the autumn harvest.
The pilgrims and the Indians feasting together
Typical Thanksgiving Day meal:
Main Course: Stuffed turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce
Desert: Pumpkin pie with whipped cream
Order the directions how to roast a turkey.
- Put 3 tablespoons of butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
- Cover with foil
- Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey
- Rinse and wash the turkey
- Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets
- For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely
- Bake it in the preheated oven 3 ½ to 4 hours